View Single Post
Old 08-07-17, 10:24 PM   #4
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Is this accurate sub hunting doctrine? Did we really send our guys out to hunt boomers back in the late 60's with Mk16's that were basically WW2 leftovers...no wire, ran straight and level until a hit or out of fuel, and Mk37's that would blow off the bow of your own sub if you launched them above 10 kts, and could be outrun by any sub or surface vessel with a top speed over 22 kts. This seems like a foolish way to go to war. I've read here on the forums that the USN upgraded the Mk37's for more speed and range becoming the Mk37C, but I don't know if the game will eventually give them to us or not as we play on thru the years. I don't know what version of Mk37 the game is giving us.

Didn't we have the Mk48 come online in the late 60's or early 70's? Is there another torp that comes online as a "stopgap" between the Mk37 and the Mk48?

If anything, maybe our modders just need to do a realism tweak to the crop of 1968 torps to simulate upgrades and more realistic performance. What I mean by realistic is having a snowballs chance in hell of completing a boomer hunt with a torp that actually catches up to subs and goes *BOOM*.

What about a early version of the Mk48 pre-ADCAP? When did the USN have them available? Thanks guys...

Tom "CC"
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote