View Single Post
Old 03-20-09, 09:19 AM   #150
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Don't know whether it can be considered as a bug or not, but here's me reporting that sometimes, SH3 commander mixes things up a bit in the campaign loading screen (I use the french version), at the end of the text, SH3 Commander reports uboote and Allied monthly losses. And sometimes, I get the last name under which I saved mid-patrol instead of the allied tonnage sunk.
Maybe knowing that is enough for you to find out and fix the bug in question... Tell me if you need a screenshot though.
It's not a bug, moreso an SH3 real estate limitation exposed by SH3Cmdr. Simply, SH3 was not coded to expect more text than what SH3 displays by default. Normally, the extra news brief text that SH3Cmdr adds isn't a problem and is displayed fine. However, when reloading a save game, the save game file name will sometimes overwrite the bottom part of the SH3Cmdr briefing due to where SH3 places the text on the screen. It happens more frequently for French players as the briefing text is longer.

This was first raised and discussed way back in 2005. I trimmed as much fat out of the news briefs as possible to minimise the distraction, and created what I believe was the best compromise between meaningful information and SH3 text limitations. IMHO what's there now is much better than trimming the text to one line or removing the feature altogether (both of which are IMHO gross overkill for a minor visual distraction that only occurs when reloading a save game, and even then not every time).

Anyway, if you find the text truncation too distracting, then, in the absence of the SH3 source code, the only other "fix" is to trim the contents of SH3Cmdr's "Menu variable_**.txt" file and make each entry shorter until it's no longer as distracting. Whatever suits you.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote