View Single Post
Old 11-24-17, 12:29 PM   #15
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

OK, gotcha. No sound, just the color changes that look like dots and dashes. That's the "squirrel" coming out in me, hearing things. I blame it all on Eichhörnchen (which means "little squirrel" in German, btw)... - apparently, this graphics anomaly has been with us since at least 2007, and I'm surprised if no one in 10 years of game play hadn't noticed that before, but you may well be the Commander Perry of SH4...

In the meantime, back to the reason for the last question in my previous post... If you are on a version of Windows newer than Windows XP, especially if it's a 64-bit version, where the Steam app installs the Silent Hunter games in "Program Files (x86)", that presents problems if you attemtp to do certain mods with certain types of files - especially CFG files, which most mods have. The reason being, is that Windows "protects" that "Program Files" folder from "unauthorized" changes, not that you, the user, aren't "authorized", but as far as Windows is concerned, you're not, and in fact, you may well be dangerous to the very existence of Windows if you're allowed to "edit" certain parameters... ahem

If you have a 2nd hard drive in your computer, you can use your Steam app on your computer, and create another Steam Library folder and move SH4 to there, thereby bypassing the Windows "protection" racket. If all you have is one hard drive, then you might be better off to re-install Steam, but do NOT put it in the "C:\Program Files (x86)" folder, but rather in a folder that you make yourself. If you try to install a mod in what you have now, Windows will "see" the changes, and "restore" the original files it "thinks" are necessary to restore "order", thereby trashing your mod install...

See: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=4850, which discusses this picture on doing the new Library folder:

Steam itself can "trash" your game on you, if you use their "Verify" after doing a mod.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote