Old 04-18-14, 04:18 AM   #17
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Thank you CaptBones for the informative post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBones View Post
Here's a couple of tricks I learned and used in real life that seem to work well in the game, for me at least...when using a magnetic pistol (influence detonator), make your point of aim amidships, but fire the shot to hit the target (well, pass under it, actually) at an oblique angle. When using an impact pistol (contact detonator) make your aim point anywhere but amidships (directly under a mast or Kingpost, or right ahead of the bridge seems best) and be sure you get as close as possible to a 90deg weapon track to the target (torpedo hits at a right angle to the hull). It should be noted though; for a time, the real world U-Boat commanders' experiences with the impact pistols were totally the opposite. The better the weapon solution, the more likely the pistol was to fail. In addition to the other failure modes, a "perfect" 90deg impact angle would result in the inertial firing mechanism failing, getting crushed instead of detonating the warhead. That was also exactly the opposite of the early-war problem the US Navy experienced with its contact detonators. Anyway...good hunting everyone, sink 'em all!
Intresting. I don't remember where, but I red that US Skippers where taught to fire (for contact detonations) with an AOB of 80° or 110° and not the usual 90°.

Anyway, about nice spots to aim your eels, I found this page very useful: Ship Weak Spots
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote