View Single Post
Old 09-08-09, 10:36 PM   #8
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssinian View Post
I can't. The base at Midway isn't selectable so I can't delete the base there. And thanks for the long anwser Peabody.
First of all @ Webster, thanks for the comment but I know very little about this modding, but I am learning a bit at a time.

Now to Abyssinian, to start with I didn't welcome you, so Welcome.

If you are making a new mission, none of the bases should show on your screen. Webster was close, the "Campaign.LOC" contains the docks for all the harbors as well as the trees and houses etc. If you want to have them show, select the File/Merge then go to your SH4 folder/data/Campaigns/campaign and find "Campaign.LOC". Leave the box unchecked that says "merge as savable" so if you mess up, it will not overwrite the Campaign.LOC. The best thing would be to copy it somewhere and work from the backup copy and don't use the original at all.

Now you will have the docks, but you will not have a Naval Base. Adding a Naval base does not add docks and adding docks does not make it a Naval base. The Naval Base is considered a "Land Unit" and they are all saved in a file as a "Land Units Layer". In the case of the US bases it is a file called "USNavalBases.mis". (What a clever filename.) That file will have all the US Naval Bases in it. You can also merge that one if you want.

Now as for deleting Midway. In case you did not know, ALL the Campaign files (ships, convoys, Naval bases, docks, and so on) are loaded when you run a single mission. So, unless you delete Midway from the original "USNavalBases.mis" it will still be there when your mission starts. So the best way to do something like that would be to make your mission as a MOD. Then you could have the MOD change the USNavalBases.mis and put the mission into the Single mission folder all at the same time.

But my suggestion, since you are just learning the mission editor, would be to leave them alone for now. If you start changing things that are already in the game, you may cause some conflicts and your mission will not work and you won't know why. Just a suggestion until you get more familiar with the mission editor.

My suggestion would be to consentrate on making a good, challenging mission, and learn how the single ships, groups, random groups, and planes work. How to change speeds at waypoints and make the ships be where you want them at the right time.

You have to remember since all the traffic in the game gets loaded into your mission, it may not turn out the way you want it to. You may sit and wait for a Convoy only to find out they were sunk by planes and shore batteries or maybe a Task Force that you didn't put in, before they got to you.

Now if you want to add your "Emergency" base you can add that into your single mission and it will save along with the mission and you don't need to change the stock files. Just drag and drop a Naval Base onto the map and put it where you want it. If you want docks that is a little more complicated. You need to go to to the menu "Tools/Map Location Edit mode" and select it. Now you can right click on the map and add map location and add a Large,Medium or Small Pacific Harbor. You need to add a 3DLocation and a 2DMapData and there is a dropdown to select which one you are adding and two boxes below that to add the info, just select the object from the list. If you are adding a Large Pacific Harbor, you should have the same one in both boxes. Check the box "Scale on Zoom".
The easiest way to learn this is to merge the "Campaign.LOC" copy as mentioned above (do not check "merge as savable"), find some docks and right click on the the square icon that is used to move them (not the docks themselves but a little square icon) and write down some of the settings like zoom start, zoom end, scale and use these numbers when you add your own dock until you learn how these numbers affect the docks.

Now when you add your own docks from "Edit Map Location" make sure the "Is Saveable" box is checked for the object you added, so it will be saved when you save the mission.

If you have trouble adding the docks, you don't need them to reload torpedos or get fuel at a Naval Base. Also remember in Single Mission there is no 'home port' so you can refuel, reload torpedos and ammo and repair some damage, but you can NOT repair Hull damage.

Hope some of that makes sense.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote