View Single Post
Old 06-25-18, 08:52 AM   #10330
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3217
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Codetrucker View Post
First and foremost... Thank You! Thanks for everyone's hard work in bringing this to the sub-surface masses! Bon voyage!

Now, back to my post...

Can I use SH5 for experimentation of mimicking the USS Nautilus?

I know the primary objective of the Silent Hunter and other sub games and simulations is blowing things up and surviving by skill, wits and luck to live long enough to do it again. My interest and goals of using SH5 are...
  • practice and hone my real-world pilotage, ded-reckoning and sextant skills of CelNav...
  • mimic the adventures of the USS Nautilus, especially the under-the-icepack voyage...
  • practice my captain's stealth skills of insertion and detection-avoidance while making my excursions.
Some of you may be wondering why I chose a 1940-ish subsim to perform Cold War experiences? You might ask about why I don't use "Sub Command," "Dangerous Waters," "688-I," etc. since they are Cold War specific? The answer is, SH5 (modded) is the only truly pilotage, ded-reckoning and CelNav capable simulation I have come across. Every other subsim out there has a love affair with the whole GPS-moving-map-know-exactly-where-you-are paradigm and neither does any surface shipsim. Since I am in the process of reinstallation and modding of my Silent Hunter 5 (Steam version), I don't know if I will be satisfied, but we're gonna give it a whirl!
Really never I go so far to the North, so I don't know what there is in the far Arctic in SH5. In SH4 you have a wall of ice (AKA Game of Thrones Ice Wall), and you can't pass it to the North Pole....

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote