View Single Post
Old 03-17-17, 05:48 PM   #11
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

1. What is the range on a hydrophone?

Enemy destroyers, about 2900 yards for passive sonar, 550 yards for active. Sub sonar will pick up contacts around 7-10 miles.

2. Do "thermal layers" block hydrophone detection by destroyers?

Yes. In the stock game the hydrophone is reduced to 33% effectiveness, active sonar to 20% if your sub is 60 feet or more below the layer (the BT is on the keel, so you have to get the whole sub under the layer). It's rather unrealistic and oversimplified.

3. How the hell does one use the stadimeter? (incredibly vague how to match up the two images)

Waterline of the top image on the top of the mast for the lower image gives the range, provided you have the correct mast height dialed in.

4. Using the U.S. TDC, how do I get my aft tubes to just shoot STRAIGHT out? I've managed to get it to do it a couple times, but it often seems to want to curve the damn thing around 150-degrees as if I was aiming at something in front of me.

Set the scope to 180, click SEND RANGE AND BEARING TO TDC, and the fish will go straight out of the aft tubes - if the speed is set to zero. Having a speed and AOB dialed in will change the gyro angle.

5. Assuming IDEAL circumstances (Hard difficulty), what are the exact steps one should follow to hit a slow moving lone merchant with a torpedo (and assuming you have already intercepted him and are a few nautical miles (nm) in front of him and 1/2 to 1 nm off of his projected course?

The very first and most important thing is to hit the Q key, then W then Q, repeat until ALL the outer doors for the tubes are OPEN. The game is set up to automatically open the outer doors if you forget to, but there's a time lag of several seconds if they're not already open when you fire - and that means the fish leaves the tube with ancient history instead of the current solution. That's the single most critical part of the firing solution, because it uses the solution at the moment the fire button is hit, which is no longer valid if there's a delay while the tube door is opening. 90% of misses can be eliminated if you get in the habit of checking that the tube outer doors are open before firing.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote