gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
This is the shape I mean (with the lighthouses' positions) :
Nice work

...but as I said before, your clean drawing will make little difference once it is scaled down to fit in the small space of SHIII's terrain masks.

In my opinion, having the islands in the right place and with the right size is more important, even though they will look a bit stretched in game. The equirectangular map projection used in game makes it easy to convert from lat/long coordinates to metric offsets relative to the equator/Greenwich meridian: 1° = 120,000 m; 1' = 2,000 m; 1" = 33.33 m; 1 pixel on a terrain mask = 6" = 200 m. As long as the terrain masks are edited correctly, calculating the correct in-game position of lighthouses and other objects relative to each other and to land, will be as easy as doing a simple math based on the lat/long of those objects in real world.

There is more. As you know, many lighthouses have "blind" spots and/or their lights have different colors depending on the angle that they are looked at. Most nautical charts have those angles displayed on map (see map.openseamap.org for example). Supposed that the above can be mimicked in game, we could calculate the correct light angles directly on charts rather than wasting our time with a trial and error approach, but for this method to work we need to place everything at its right place and to work on equirectangular charts. Most nautical charts use a Mercator projection but, for small areas, stretching them to fit an equirectangular projection is quite easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Other pictures of Helgoland :
Amazing!

I had no realized how many coastal batteries where located on the island. Maybe we could add them in game
gap is offline   Reply With Quote