View Single Post
Old 07-20-05, 08:59 PM   #7
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_espo
Come on Queen Remember, this is just a game....many would like the "what if" possibilities thats what makes this game great...being able to replay scenarios that did not really happen.

And Remember, it was those systems that are so......"80s" that kept us and the Soviets from all out war.
The thing is, right now, the "what if" possiblities in DW are fairly limited. If I wanted to do hard-core "what if" scenarios, I'd prefer a beefed up database of Soviet platforms over the ability to shoot off ballistic missiles. They're really beyond the scale of what the sim models well anyhow.

I think the interesting thing about DW is that it's the only sim I've seen that let's one look at the actions of single vessels or small groups of vessels in contemporary situations. I was really impressed that that it bothered to mess with the 0.50cals on the FFG, or that I could sneak into a harbor and mine it, or deliver a SOF team, try to stop smugglers and drug runners, or zoom around in a helo evacuating an embassy, or try to defend myself against suicide boats. That's all good stuff.

A retro, "what-if" oriented sim wouldn't care about any of that. It'd be about scouting out and unleashing a massive volley of cruise missiles at the NATO or Warsaw Pact fleet, and end with that. That's where Harpoon is best. There's so much more nuance to DW and this obsession some people have with nuclear obliteration makes no sense to me.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote