View Single Post
Old 02-20-17, 11:30 AM   #4473
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Using the range to end and maximum range at current speed, my experience is that 9 knots is the most efficient for most of the newer boats. 2/3 speed is usually 8 knots, which according to the max at current speed calculations is a bit below what you get at 9 knots.
you are correct, but I was referring to another issue. In SH4, 2/3 or 9 knots uses less fuel than in RL while ahead standard uses more fuel than in RL. This has been tested and confirmed before.

plus, the SH world is flat, therefore some distances can be up to 22% longer than in RL.

To compensate, Ducimus put very high ranges for fleet boats. As I recall 18,000 miles for a Gato/Balao rather than the 11,000 nm in RL.

That gives you more than enough fuel to comfortably cruise at ahead standard to your patrol area, patrol and still get back to base.

You will get much better mileage at 9 knots, but you then wind up with an unrealistic high range of, as I recall, 22-23,000 nm at 100% fuel.

personally, I have modded my TMO to bring the range down to 15,000 nm, which was the value proposed by RFB.