View Single Post
Old 05-15-09, 02:44 AM   #188
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerazzurri View Post
Despite reading the PDF with SH3Comm I'm confused about the way 'realistic career length' and 'crew transfers' work. The PDF says it's calculated when a new career is started, which makes sense. But I don't get the 'in mid-patrol' and 'tinkering between patrols' relevance.
Erm, re the bold text, you may like to read the User Guide again; it does not state this at all. It states that "randomisation occurs every time you launch a career using SH3 Commander, but not when your career is mid-patrol.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerazzurri View Post
That makes sense with days between patrols and changing the crew roster. I would just have thought the length of your career would've been calculated at the start, rather than every patrol.
The User Guide explains how the feature works; it mentions that it is, at least in part, based on the number of days spent at sea. SH3Cmdr is good, IMHO bloody good, but not that good to know up front how many days you will be spending at sea during each patrol of your new career. Hence why it calculates it between each patrol.

Now, SH3Cmdr assumes--because it has no way of knowing otherwise--that if you use it to launch SH3 that you want to play a patrol (kinda pointless otherwise). Thus it performs the retirement calculation when the "Launch SH3!" button is pressed (but again, for obvious reasons, not if you are mid-patrol). It performs the calculation based on the patrol that you are on, and the number of days that you've spent at sea so far. If the result falls within a pre-determined range AND the associated number equals the random number generated by SH3Cmdr, you are retired. This is obviously not something you want to occur if you only plan on loading your career to look at the pretty screens, manually replace crew, or whatnot, hence the "tinkering" statement.

Last edited by JScones; 05-15-09 at 03:06 AM.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote