View Single Post
Old 01-17-17, 09:09 AM   #111
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
....... well... you are just incredible mate !
Remember that that model is not mine. It is mostly work of the Air Conflicts - Pacific Carriers developemnt team. I am just "post-producing" it for use in SHIII

Quote:
I think it's a good idea. Even if the one of Pack 3D looks really nice.
See my comment on that model below

Quote:
What is the level of detail of the Wildcat model you're working on ?
I would say very good. Probably over the average of other SHIII planes, both stock and imported, and with a relatively low poly-count. But you can judge yourself:

Here the fighter sports the paint scheme used during Operation Torch: note the yellow rings surrounding the US roundel on the fuselage and under the wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The landing gear of course, retracted into the wings on Hellcat instead of the fuselage, as you noted. The front engine cowling on the Hellcat has an "air scoop", making it more of an oval shape to the Wildcat's round cowling. The Hellcat is "slenderer" through the waist, more "graceful" looking. The Wildcat is "pudgy" looking by comparison, more "round" in the fuselage (like me). The wingspan of the Hellcat is quit a bit wider, if I'm remembering correctly. I used to have models of both hanging from my bedroom ceiling as a kid, and my eyes were always drawn more to the Hellcat. I had visions of becoming a Navy pilot... but alas, I grew too tall - and I was blinded by a lass... - and for some reason, the USN change their planes, and went with jets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I think this may help you a lot...
Thank you guys, your remarks and drawings are very useful!

After looking at the 3D models that I mentioned in my previous post I noticed the different cowling shape too. Moreover the tailwheel retracted into the fuselage for the Hellcat, the vertical stabilizer was thicker in the latter plane than it was in the Wildcat, and there were many more small differences that one cant spot at first glance.
All in all, the two fighters are only supeficially similar, but they were obviously based on two different projects. Using the Wildcat model as base for the Hellcat might be more work than modelling the latter plane from scratch.
By the way, the gctrader "low poly" model proved more high poly than the one from Pack3D. Another advantage of the Pack 3D model, is that it uses just one texture, which is good if we want the plane to have different paint schemes. I can see if an automatic poly-reduction of it will give good results, otherwise I am afraid we are are left with no other option but drawing a cylinder and starting from there

Quote:
I thank you very much for this awesome model, but I won't include it in the first version of this mod. I think it would be better to create a complete library (with labels in pounds and not kilogramms) of well modelled bombs, whereas having several models which are so different between them.
No problem

A while ago I had planned creating accurate models of the naval/air ordnance used by the main WWII belligerents. Regarding air ordnance, the only models I have worked on so far are the 100lb bomb that you have already seen, and US torpedoes including the FIDO acoustic torpedo. Finding on the web detailed drawings of dismissed US ordnance is relatively easy in these days (not the same for other nation's weaponry).
Modelling the full arsenal of US bombs, together with FAR and HVAR rockets shouldn't take too long. I will let you know when I finish, in case you are interested into having them for your mods
gap is offline   Reply With Quote