View Single Post
Old 03-20-17, 06:16 PM   #15
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
It is a beautiful car. The paint looks original too. The 401 " Nailhead " engine is legendary and is built strong with forged rods and cranks not to mention being a " torque monster. " Tommy Ivo, raced
twin-Nailhead (placed side-by-side) in dragsters. By the way Chris, Jay Leno and Tim Allen, a.k.a, Tim the tool man Taylor called and said with your second classic car acquisition, you are in now " In the club "

Your membership is pending.

Congratulations on your new car purchase.
The paint is original. The car is completely original sans the usual muffler, brakes and some deteriorated rubber products. It has a few warts but one does not stop driving a Rolls Royce because there is a dent in the fender. This my second nailhead. My 54 has the 264 nailhead that I had to replace the heads as someone installed hardened seats. No no on a nailhead head. Enough nickel content. I honed and installed new rings. Runs great. The 54 is restored 100%. This 401 is hooked to the Dynaflow. Great transmission as it does not shift. All turbine and fluid drive. Worked well on the Buick tanks and works well for the Buick cars. Fascinating for it's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Oh I am so jealous Chris, what a beauty, if you get sick of it and feel generous you can ship it as a gift to me, I will give you the address!
What's the mechanics like? Are you likely to pull it down or is it fine the way it is?
The car runs well. Some oil leaks need attention. Other then that I drove the car 188 miles 65-75 MPH without issue. It is solid. 30000 actual miles and runs like new. Previous owner had a complete brake job done 2014. Everything..master cylinder rebuild, shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware and hose. Then it was driven less than 200 miles until my purchase this past weekend. I need to replace or repair the wing window regulator driver side. Not much else to do but enjoy it.

The best thing with Buick is my 54 is restored and the black paint is flawless. Cost was $10k 11 years ago. It is top notch. I worry about every stinking rock or whatever scratching or denting the body/paint. Black cars...if there is one ding your eye goes right to it. If it is not straight the black paint enhances the ripples in the panels. With the 60 Buick in it's original form I'm not so worry about it. It is what it is.

This is the 54 nailhead when reinstalling the heads. I freshened up the block.