View Single Post
Old 02-24-08, 06:29 PM   #59
Admiral_Olof
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 0
Excellent idea!!!
I followed the debate of a Cold War mod while it was a "hot potato" the last time. Personally, I think it' could be a beautiful thing.
I'm an avid player of Dangerous Waters, a great game technically, but unfortunately lacking the air and ambience of the SH titles.
I won't go into the tech talk - I'm not a programmer and my graphic skills are strictly two-dimensional. I am, however, since long a GM in several story-driven role-playing games and a part-time writer. I would simply love to sink my teeth into creating a beliaveble story-line for a campaign. I know some of the criticism against a Cold War mod was that things never got "hot". Well - would it be so terrible if we re-wrote history into a "what-if"? Someone pointed out the Cuban Missile Crisis as a possible start point. I would agree. Someone else mentioned the Korean War. I'm sure a campaign involving diesel-electric subs could be a real treat. Is there any reason why a mod should be a one-campaign matter? Wouldn't it be possible to focus one 50's campaign to, say, the Korean War and a 60's to a post-Cuba hot war?
And - perhaps the most chilling alternative - a campaign where the sub leaves port for what is then peace-time, while during the days at sea, matters on land deteriorate into...war? Almost war? "Hostile intent"?
MMmmmmm....the possibilities given by the news broadcasts, dubious orders, mission updates. Confusion. Chill. Fear. And maybe, Armageddon waiting around the corner...

Stick to this idea fellows - it's simply too good to let go of.
Best regards,
Admiral_Olof

Admiral_Olof is offline   Reply With Quote