View Single Post
Old 08-01-07, 12:23 AM   #23
panthercules
The Old Man

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

OK - I'm still not following one aspect - what exactly is a "scan code" (third column in the key_codes.csv file) and how do I know what it's supposed to be.

I'm trying to add a command for opening/closing the recognition manual, which is assigned to the "N" key in game. So, I went to the website linked to above, and found that the code for the "N" key is 4E. So, I started adding an entry to the bottom of the key_codes.csv file file, as "N | 0x4E | ???", but I can't figure out what belongs in that third column as the "scan code".

Making the changes to the key_commands.csv file seemed easy enough (presumably "59 | Key | Recognition Manual | N"), as did the changes in the voice_commands.csv file (presumably "59 | Recognition manual | Recognition manual"), but this "scan code" thing has me stumped - I couldn't detect any pattern in looking at the scan codes for the other entries in the key_codes.csv file, but then again I'm a total noob at hex stuff so I probably wouldn't be able to spot a pattern even if there is one.

Have I read right past this part in the previous explanations, or can you shed some light on how to determine what the entry in the scan code column should be for new commands we add?

[edit] OK - I still don't know what a scan code is, but I had to put something in there when I closed the files, so I just chose "0x00" like you suggested in the example about "CTRL-ENTER". This seemed to work in test mode - when I say "Recognition manual" it says it recognizes it and that it's outputting the letter "N", so I guess it worked - but if 0x00 always works, why are all the other scan codes something else? What is a scan code and what does it do?