View Single Post
Old 12-18-17, 12:00 PM   #5598
Gewehr 43
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
So, let's go over your computer set-up there Gewehr 43. If you know what processor you have, its speed, how much RAM, and what video card you have, let us know. What OS are you running, and is it a 32-bit or 64-bit version? What directory / folder do you have SH4 installed in (it's defaults to the "C:\ Program Files" folders) (a really BIG bugaboo issue). Was the SH4 install a "fresh" one? Were there old files in your "My Documents \ SH4" game save folder (big bugaboo issue)? Did you happen to save replays with your game save? That's fine on Single Missions, but a hard drive eater on a career game save, and can contribute to corruption. You say "no new mods", but any other mods activated with FotRSU? What was the date of your origination, boat and port, and the Save date, time and location? (approximations are fine).
Thanks for the detailed reply, let's get this figured out.
  • CPU: i5 Quad Core, 3.3GHz, not overclocked
  • MoBo: MSA P67A-G45
  • RAM: 16Gb (4x4), DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
  • Vid: Radeon HD 7850, drivers current as of last month anyway
  • Disk: Game drive is a WD SATA platter drive w/100+Gb free, OS Drive is an SSD w/10+Gb free
  • Install location: [2nd HD]\games\steam\steamapps\common\sh4 wolves of the pacific (this is approximate, I'm not at home at the moment, so going from memory)
  • Large Address Aware application has been run

I had to completely remove and reinstall SH4 u-boat missions a couple weeks ago because my game was corrupt and was only recognizing v1.3. After reinstalling, it came up to v1.5. I did *not* at that time, remove anything in the "my docs" folder, so I can try that. I do not save replays. No other mods running at all. After reinstalling, I used JSGME to enable the FOTRSU mod only and had been running for a week without trouble. The problem is affecting both careers I've tried: USS Harder, Autumn 1943 out of Midway, and S-32, Dec 8 out of Manila (reassigned to Surabaya shortly thereafter and never made it there before corruption). Harder was just north of Rabaul at save time. S-32 was 100 miles or so west of the northern tip of Luzon.

Should I just delete the SH4 save games folder and let the game recreate them? I won't be too heartbroken to lose either of those careers if absolutely necessary, though I was starting to become attached to my stupid little S-boat. I noticed the save files varied between 1.2 and 3.5mb each if that means anything. I tend to make multiple saves at different points in each patrol and all of them appear to be corrupt.

Thanks for time on this. I really appreciate it.

Edit: You know, the only thing I did change was to force anti-aliasing through my video card's control app. I can't imagine that would have anything to do with the CTD because the game plays just fine (and is gorgeous, by the way). It's only when I try to load an in-progress save that it fails. I'll remove the vid card override and see if that makes any difference.
Gewehr 43 is offline   Reply With Quote