View Single Post
Old 02-27-15, 03:16 PM   #52
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
You know i have failed and failed at completing my indie projects as well. It's too bad we couldn't come up with something unique that we could apply our skill sets to successfully just to say we 'completed' something.

00:30 - Intro
2:00 - Start with importing the same mesh and texture
3:40 - Create the same material
4:45 - Apply material
5:20 - Making a prefab/scripting part
14:15 - Testing
14:45 - Previewing in the blueprint editor
15:05 - Conclusion Start
16:20 - Conclusion End / Final Conclusion

Heres the video I got figured out this morning if you got 10 minutes (4-14 minute mark is what your intresting in I think). Starts at minute mark with importing the same mesh and texture and creating the same material then turning it into a prefab with a script to rotate it a set amount when 'Y' is pressed. It went on a little longer than I thought but I recorded this directly after I 'figured it out' from playing around.

Let me know what you think about the general idea of Unreal, curious. I'm loving it so far and I used to argue for Unity so much. Only thing im noticing is its a little taxing on the computer, a bit slower than Unity and takes up an extra 150-200 megs of ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
You know, if you're going to make any serious project it's going to end up being expensive. That said, while it is nice to have such things built in from the get-go, I like that Unity forced me to learn how to write my own fragment shaders. It just gives me more control over final performance. All of the node-based editors output the same CG code anyway, but they do so using their own proprietary nodes which means it is difficult to edit or understand the code afterwards if you need to manually optimize calculations. Writing your own code makes this much easier.
I take your points and agree. I am learning C++ as I go for optimization because I heard blueprint can be up to 10x slower than straight code with complex calculations. Whats cool is you can flesh it out in Blueprint then convert that to a C++ solution to continue working on/optimize/change things. Some very neat features as I explore this more and more.

They also released the 4.7.1 minor release hotfix less than 24 hours after the 4.7 major release. (and its cool on the GitHub they have Release Candidate versions available for testing and Alpha/Beta versions available for testing, as long as your subscription is valid anyway, otherwise your stuck with the last version you downloaded.

Doing this video and figuring out the basics of the Blueprint system took longer than anticipated so I might not get as much work done today as promised but this weekend for sure expect some major updates (going to model a 1950 era sub exterior and flesh out the major structural details in every compartment and also start looking into the ocean/weather project. Will be posting updates, hope to eventually convince someone to come on board.

My biggest gripe with Unreal so far is compatibility between versions. Since they are updating versions SO fast since its such a new idea for them, and the marketplace being BRAND BRAND new... assets from the marketplace currently have to be updated for each release. For example the free assets are for the last major release 4.6.1 from a month or so ago. They havnt been updated for 4.7 released 3 days ago, although some are already updated for the 4.7.1 released a few hours ago. The marketplace is also lacking majorly for the time being. The community forums makes up for it with the amount of free stuff people are sharing as they explore the engine but its no-where near Unitys Asset Store. At all.

I just bought the new Digital Tutors course "Building an Interactive Day Night Cycle Game in Unreal Engine. I think I own every course on UE4 from the major tutor websites... just havn't started any.

Does Unity have the ability to create animations by recording physics interations in the editor play preview? What about making cinematics from within the editor is there an addon for that? Those two, especially the animations from physics simulations are some of the coolest features IMO. And Blueprint is starting to get up there.

Last edited by nsomnia; 02-27-15 at 03:38 PM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote