Old 02-04-19, 06:27 PM   #12
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
VT can be lower.
I have an obj file open now with 28566 vertices but has 1520 texture coordinates.
To make it GR2 compatible we would need to add texture coords.
Those can be a repeat or just 0. That should allow TDW's program to import as a 'clean'. I think that's his term.
I wonder how this is technically possible in a manifold space.

Let's take a simple primitive like a cube. In the XYZ space it has indubitably eight vertices. Unwrapped as in the figure below, it will have fourteen UV vertices, you can count then:

By stitching all the UV edges together, we can reduce vt number to eight (i.e. the number of XYZ vertices), but I don't see how we could make it smaller than the main vertex count.

Quote:
You can combine meshes into one obj file. They are still separate meshes If done right.

Then Bake. You only need the UV's (VT) for each mesh. Faces should not change.
Sure, but when we separate an object into the single contiguous meshes composing it, and/or when we combine several objects into a bigger objects, vertices get re-numbered/re-sorted as a consequence of the separation and/or combination. Are we sure that when we recombine/re-separare them, to re-build the original objects, their vertices will be again in the exact same order?

Quote:
Don't know if Wings3D or other programs can export UV's only or if you can have more then one texture channel in them.
I know that Max supports multiple UV coordinates, I that's what you mean. Unfortunately that's an useful feature missing from Wings3d (dunno about Blender).
gap is offline   Reply With Quote