View Single Post
Old 08-01-19, 03:22 PM   #59
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

The method I had in mind this afternoon was by recording own movement while on a constant course, but with changing speed faster then slower. One has to record one's own position on the map, point the scope to a fixed point on the target hull, be at an overtaking speed making the target creep backwards, and at some time slow down letting the target catch up to the line. Then the distance own ship moved over the time until it catches up gives you your average speed. With own ship and the bearing of the scope being constant, the target returning to the line as it catches up is effectively a constant bearing at two moments in time. And since the scope bearing and own course is kept constant you can easily calculate your speed component across the line of sight by multiplying it by the sine of the bearing. As shown in my image above, this is the same as the 'speed across' of the target. Then the real target speed results from dividing it by the sine of the AOB.

For the Wolfpack game this should work out nicely (barring the current time-dilation bug), since you can easily record your own movement by the difference in the odometer value at both times down to the meter. But I forgot that in SH3 you can't measure distance as precisely. You are limited to the 100m units that is displayed by line length or circle radius. The latter would require longer time periods to get any meaningful precision in the average speed. Trial and error as derstosstrup advocated is then easier and better done in reasonable time.

I can't remember. Does SH3 have an odometer? If so, probably a crude scale though.