View Single Post
Old 10-25-08, 08:35 AM   #1
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default On the periscope notepad

I have come to the conclusion that the notepad system in SH4UBM is not only useless, it's an impediment to accurate manual targeting.

Obviously rather than overhaul the system completely the designers decided to resurrect the SH3 notepad system. But it is not exactly the same and the differences between them have a big effect on the versatility of the system.

OK, in SH3 there are default measurements, AOB 0, Range 0, speed 0.

In SH4, the default measurements are AOB 0, Range 3000 (IIRC, but anyway, not 0), speed 0

With both systems you can input all your data using the tools provided and send to TDC, or you can go to the TDC page and manually input

But with SH3 you could manually input speed into the TDC, and if you only send updated AOB and range data from the notepad, then this will not affect your speed input. This is very important, since few manual targeters regularly use the speed measuring equipment available from the notepad.

However with SH4 this is not possible because to send data from the notepad will reset the TDC speed to whatever the default is.. Therefore you cannot set speed using the TDC, and update the range and AOB solution using the notepad and stadimeter, without also going back to the TDC and changing the speed setting, wasting valuable seconds before firing.

Please correct me if i'm wrong here.
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote