Old 07-05-17, 07:31 AM   #4872
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi Guys
When using the stadimeter is there what I would call a ‘sweet spot’.

With regards to the periscopes vertical lines and bringing down the stadimeter to the top of the targets mast how can I find better range accuracy?
The attack map nearly always show that I am short on range and I have identified the target.

I am using the same principal as in SH5 by putting the Periscope line on the targets hull and stadimeter hull to the targets top of the mast.

Is it better to do this with no periscope magnification or, more accurate with full magnification.

While I can get the correct range after a few attempts I would like to know if there is a more reliable way.

1. Correct positioning of Periscopes vertical lines.
2. Ccorrect positioning of stadimeter to target.
Peter
Sorry for not reading this earlier, I was playing "plummer" yesterday on a Holiday!!

The accuracy of the Stadimeter in the stock game, and Fotrs Ultimate, is simply awful! I'll not sugar coat it, there are specific reasons for this inaccuracy, which can be corrected but haven't been touched by me.

If anyone knows my "modding history", this very issue of inaccurate range finding has been my focus. Going back to June, 2007 I released my first efforts called "Imperial Range Correction". It describes the issue and why a correction needs to be made. Since then, "Ship Centered Accuracy Fix" (SCAF) was made, and "Optical Targeting Correction" (OTC) followed. Each building on the other, each addressing the issue of inaccurate range finding.

The cause is two fold. You have inaccurate "optics" that don't allow a yard to measure a yard, and you have Mast "Height" measurements that aren't even close to measuring accurately. A double whammy that puts the manual targeting process into the only way possible of getting hits.......you get close, you fire at a 90 degree angle, you get lucky.

For those of us who have seen this discrepancy between a Stadimeter found range and one determined from measurements on the Navigation Map, or from using active Sonar (yes, Sonar will give you an accurate measurement of range...nuts on, to the yard, accurate range?!) its due to poor optics, and wrong "Height" measurements used to calculate a found Stadimeter range.

One of these has been corrected in Fotrs Ultimate, the "Optics". It will now read accurately a yard at 1000 yards distance...as it should with an authentic periscope, TBT view. The other has not been addressed by me. There are folks that think "shooting into the dark" is appropriate in submarine warfare.....if so, then have at it. When the Hiryu CV gives a Stadimeter range finding of 500 yards, yet it's actually at 1100 yards distance.......get close, get lucky.

Peter, to be specific in answering your questions, there is no amount of adjustments a player can do to get an accurate Stadimeter range finding. Inaccuracy is designed into the game (I believe inadvertently) beyond reality. Reality would have been for the first Submarine Captain to have thrown the Recognition Manual to the fishes, come up with his own measurements, then passed them along to his fellow Captain's so they wouldn't make the same mistake as he! Some would rather think, we should accept inaccuracy, and be stuck in a 4 year war making the same error over and over again.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote