View Single Post
Old 12-19-18, 05:42 PM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

New stuff learned while playing around:

while experimenting with settings and options, I noticed the cam can be toggled between NTSC and PAL. Available frame rates are slightly different (120/60/30 for NTSC, 100/50/25 for PAL. When comparing test videos, I noticed that the inroom lights were flickering with NTSC. Online research showed that this is due to the different electrical frequencies in PAL countries/Europe: its the same like the frame rate for NTSC, and so there is interference. Lesson from it: when shooting indoor with artifical lights, use PAL.

However, if there is a video shot, and I want to edit a slow motion into it, its better to have more frame rates in the pool. So I will mostly shoot in NTSC, outdoors. In the test videos, i did not see a visual quality difference between PAL and NTSC, although the TV resolution should be slightly inferior with NTSC, compared to PAL. In video editing, different frame rates can be mixed and edited into one film as long as all snippets are made with the same norm, NTSC or PAL. Both should not be mixed, could lead to stutterings, I read.

I also learned that the camera for a 1080p resolution reads the sd card with 64 GB as capable of storing 3 hours 45 minutes at frames 25 and 50. Wowh. Memory will not be a problem.

Earlier I also read that 128 GB cards are not recommended, since their production process compromises some of the cell structure advantages of lower capacity cards, increasing the risk for data failure, and shortening the longevity of the card in general.

The cam writes with UHS-1 class speed only. No need to buy faster UHS-II cards (which are four times as expensive over here!!), their speed advantage is not beign made use of.

Tomorrow I will test 1080 resolution more intensly. Possible that this will help to keep temperatures down. 2.7K at 120 is cancelled, since it does not support hypersmoothing, which is an essential feature for me. There are also limitations for using higher resolutions and higher framed together with high viewing angles, something I have so far ignored. Very possible that I settle down with 1080 in the end, and have all options available and no limitations that way. I will never have a bigger flat than I now have - 4K screens in my living room with the according huge monitor size simply do not make sense. 4K is for big screens and bigger viewing distances, not for smaller screens at smaller viewing distances. Finally, high frame rates may find their reward when viewing it indeed in a VR headset (with their low resolutions, and I cannot see them skyrocketing all of a sudden any time soon).

Last edited by Skybird; 12-19-18 at 05:54 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote