View Single Post
Old 05-09-12, 02:25 PM   #20
Daniel Prates
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernherVonTrapp View Post
I used to raid harbors all the time. It does seem much easier than I imagine it would've been in real life. I don't raid them as often as I used to because it's starting to become "old hat" with me. Still, it can be challenging in it's own right nevertheless. I've raided Rabaul too many times to recall, but I've never seen a warship bigger than a DD docked at it's harbor. Historically, it should have a much larger selection of warships. I raided Truk once and found no less than 4BBs plus the Yamato, 2 CVs, numerous Cruisers and too many merchants to remember.
At Okinawa, I've raided Naha and Itoman, both are usually filled with merchants and usually some tankers. I've raided ports at the top of the Bungo Strait or along the Japanese coastline, Guam, Saipan, Formosa, Iwo Jima and even Wake Island over the past couple of years (TMO + RSRDC).

Now, I usually only raid them if I can't find any merchants to sink. As my gaming progresses, I become more acclimated to the shipping routes or naval battles and my port raiding becomes a secondary concern. Still, it has made for some interesting encounters.
That is all true in my opinion.

What I like in harbor raiding is to attack the DD (or DDs) that usually are there scaning the outlet. They do predictable circles, but are by no means easy do hit, and if you miss, you are as sure as dead. It is fun to calculate slowly an attac, hour after hour, predict that one perfect attack and then do it and hope it works. Its so different from open-seas engagements.
Daniel Prates is offline   Reply With Quote