View Single Post
Old 02-06-11, 12:54 AM   #606
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
Ummm, try again. Frau Kaleun is right. The ships appear in your log and aces list BECAUSE SH3 RECORDS THEM...NOT SH3CMDR. SH3Cmdr couldn't care less - it simply reads what SH3 has recorded.

So you are wrong.
After looking at the personnel file from my latest test patrol, I think the "issue" insofar as there is one is that Commander doesn't appear to differentiate between your neutral tonnage and Allied tonnage when it creates the U-Boat Aces list for a particular month. If you sank 50000 tons it inserts you in the list with 50000 tons, it doesn't tally up just the Allied tonnage that was sunk and adjust your place in the list accordingly.

I sank 54730 tons on the test patrol, 8530 of that was confimed neutral by the game (it was a lighted US ship in 1939, no doubts about its neutrality). I still show up in the Aces list from that patrol with the full 54730 tons.

Mind you I'm not complaining that Commander doesn't deduct neutral/friendly tonnage from the total in creating the list, and in fact there may not be any way that it can - but I think that's what Robin40 is looking at, and maybe we're confusing the issue because of the difference between credit and renown.

Getting credit for tonnage sunk is, in this case, just recognition of the fact that you sank 'X' thousand tons of shipping. If you sink a ship, you sank it - the kill and the tonnage are yours. That's what's reflected in Commander.

Renown is different, it's something the game gives you (or takes away) based on the value of the tonnage you've been credited with. For sinking enemy ships, you gain renown, because those sinkings are something of value to the war effort. But if you're credited with sinking a neutral or friendly ship, you lose renown instead because those sinkings have no value (the way the game figures it) or may even be detrimental to the cause.

The U-Boat Aces list in Commander doesn't care about renown, that's something the game keeps track of; all it shows is how many tons your kaleun and those other dudes sank that month, and where your total tonnage puts you on the totem pole.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote