View Single Post
Old 02-24-08, 07:10 AM   #52
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3
Default Natural Progression

Dear Subsim Community,

I know some of the die-hard Silent Hunter puritans out there will balk at the series moving on from their beloved WWII arena, but time marches on regardless. As an example, I would ask them to look at EA's wonderful Battlefield series that started in 1942, but now has moved on to modern day weaponry and as a result, is one of the most popular online gaming experiences of all-time. The creation of a Cold-War era subsim Mod, based on the Silent Hunter engine, is just an experiment in viability for a potential official sequel set during this era. We all know that in reality this time period didn't provide a lot of 'Action' for sub Commanders, but that doesn't mean that we can't throw in a few theoretical elements. For example, a lot of 'War games' took place during ths period. While participant's weren't firing live ordinance, I'm sure it was still pretty exciting. In addition to this; I'm sure alot of stuff 'went down' that is still classified. Various, unexplained sinking, Sub's returning from patrol with damage of an unknown origin, reactor leaks etc. I mean Tom Clancy's famous novel is based during this period and that scenario was frighteningly feasible and still is! In summation; I feel and so do many others, that there is room in the Silent Hunter Cannon for an Cold-War set Subsim. If it fails, what have we lost? We can and shall return to the WWII arena, and maybe in attempting to broaden our horizon's, we will have learnt something along the way. On behalf of all Subsimer's I humbly ask for your support.

Cheers!

The General