RoaldLarsen
Weps

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaldLarsen
If I'm wrong about this, or if this is a documented behaviour of SH3 Commander, Jaeson might get upset with me. If I am correct, perhaps he'll want to think about how he manages file I/O, specifically, about when to close files that have been opened for writing.
I think you can now see that you are wrong.
Nope.

Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps this is a case of USER SNAFU on my part. But I don't see it.

I never asserted that doing what I suggested would definitely fix the problem Nedlam was experiencing. I said I had encountered an issue which seemed similar and told him what I had done, which worked for me, and suggested he try it too. I did not claim that the software was definitely broken but I did include a mention of a particular sort of software problem that is consistent with the reported evidence, as one of a number of possibliites, after user error and RTFM issues.

I seems to me that asserting, without sufficient evidence, that a user is wrong about a software problem is to repeat the very same mistake that a user makes by claiming, without sufficent evidence, that the software is at fault.

Yeah, you ran a rudimentary test that confirmed that SH3 Commander is working just exactly as you intended. Well, you didn't test my particular failure case. You couldn't. I hadn't described it in sufficient detail yet. Now I will. Here is a simple test case that repeats reliably on my installation.

SH3 Commander version 2.7.0.130. Nothing else on my computer that interferes with Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg\Basic.cfg. Windows XP Professional SP3. Running from an account with administrator privileges.

Step 1. Run SH3 Commander, Roll Back SH3, Exit SH3 Commander. Inspect Basic.cfg, Commands_en.cfg and Sim.cfg in Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg to make sure that they have their default values for the lines we are trying to change in Static settings.cfg.

Step 2. Edit SH3 Commander's out-of-the-box Static settings.cfg to add the following lines at the end:

SUBMARINE_AMMO2|ForeTube10=2 ;T2
TORPEDO_TYPE5|PrototypeYear=1943

[data\Cfg\Commands_en.cfg]
Cmd313|Key0=0x0

[data\Cfg\Sim.cfg]
Visual|Detection time=1 ;[s] ;was 0.5

Because the pre-existing lines in Static settings.cfg made changes to Basic.cfg, we expect the first two added lines to affect Basic.cfg as well.

Step 3. Run SH3 Commander and use it to launch SH3.

Step 4. Inspect Basic.cfg, Commands_en.cfg and Sim.cfg in Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg.

You will find that SH3 Commander has correctly changed the four indicated values.

Step 5. Exit SH3 and repeat Step 1.

Step 6. Edit Static settings.cfg to swap the first two lines you added in Step 1, so they look like this:

Step 7. Repeat steps 3 and 4.

You will find that SH3 Commander has again correctly changed the four indicated values. We do steps 5 to 7 to confirm that changing the order of commands within one file section in Static Settings does not affect the outcome.

Step 8. Repeat Step 5.

Step 9. Edit Static settings.cfg to move the SUBMARINE_AMMO2 line to become the third line from the end. Because the line you just moved belongs to a different file than the line immediately above it, you must insert before it a file designation. Your additional lines should now look like this:

[data\Cfg\Commands_en.cfg]
Cmd313|Key0=0x0

[data\Cfg\Basic.cfg]

[data\Cfg\Sim.cfg]
Visual|Detection time=1 ;[s] ;was 0.5

Step 10. Repeat Steps 3 and 4.

When I do this I find that the value for the type of torpedo in Tube 1 in a type VIIB in 1940 - the value of the ForeTube10 line of the SUBMARINE_AMMO2 section in Basic.cfg - has not been changed, but the other three values have been changed.

So, I have a simple, repeatable failure case. Will this repeat for other users? IDK. Is the software broken? IDK. Did I make an error? Perhaps, but I can't see it.
RoaldLarsen is offline   Reply With Quote