View Single Post
Old 03-16-15, 05:40 AM   #489
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

No, it's definitely not dead! The development of Sub Commander is progressing a lot more slowly lately but I still have many more updates planned.

The focus of the next update will be the torpedoes. I've learned a LOT more about how these systems work from my research for the new simulator, and I plan to integrate that back into Sub Commander.

The magic auto-homing torpedoes will be replaced with a more realistic system, where:
  • Immediately after launch, the torpedo turns to a predefined bearing (either manually selected by the player before launch, or selected automatically based on your current target)
  • Once the torpedo has travelled more than a certain distance (also chosen by the player), the warhead and homing sensors will be armed. I plan to simulate both active and passive sensors.
  • Once the sensors switch on, the torpedo will enter a search pattern if it has been programmed to do so.
  • If the sensors detect a target, the torpedo will chase and attempt to destroy it. This means you must plan shots very carefully to avoid friendly fire or circular running torpedoes.

The system is still a work in progress, but I think it will really improve the game. One of the main complaints people seem to have about Sub Commander is how basic the combat system is, and I think this will help fix that nicely.

Decoys and countermeasures may also make it into the next update but I haven't started work on them yet.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote