View Single Post
Old 03-29-17, 12:48 PM   #4356
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt commander lare View Post
Personally and this is just my opinion I would remove all the Submarine Nets from the game and add minefields there more deadly then the subnets but that's just my thoughts on it. Whatever you all decide I'm cool with it I love the game more than ever with all the hard work u all have been doing its just been a blast to go on patrol again.

Also i think
The engine compartment area needs to be stronger in armor so we dont lose engines as easily so they can be repaired and we have a fighting chance is that something that can be added or fixed ?.
My opinion is this:

Leave out the mine fields UNLESS their detection and mitigation can be realistically modeled.

Obviously subs of this era were not "minesweepers," though I'm not sure if they may have had some capacity to "detect" mines in the preferable manner, i.e., WITHOUT bumping in to them and causing the dratted things to detonate . . . I will assume that submarines of this era (in general) did NOT have such a capacity to detect mine fields.

However, practically speaking minefields could only be placed in shallower waters, and even with that constraint considered, various other constraints had to be followed too. The enemy could not place a minefield so as to completely encircle a harbor, then their own ships couldn't safely get in and out! Areas with high currents were out as well I would imagine.

Obviously the point of a defensive mine field is, as with the land based ones, area denial, along with a certain prospect of causing a surprise "attack" on an enemy. But for the most part, it is my understanding that the point was simply to prevent the enemy from being able to freely use a particular area, and in many cases the general location of their opponents minefields might well have been known.

The whole pacific was crawling with recon and patrol planes and various other forms of intelligence gathering and, while I am not familiar with the specifics of how minefield detection and mitigation were handled by any of the combatant forces in that war, each side MUST have had systems in place to do so. These systems would necessarily involve the intergration of many different operational elements, generally spanning multiple branches of service I reckon . . . if a Australian army air corp recon plane sees a Jap minelayer doing what pretty obviously seems to be laying mines in Rabaul harbor then it stands to reason that little bit of information is behooved to find its way to the right hands/minds so that things like silly interloping submarine captains are less likely to go interloping into the minefield.

All this to say: the presence/absence, detection, mitgation, avoidance of minefields to me, seems like something that is out of scope for the game.