Old 10-12-17, 04:35 PM   #2460
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiii View Post
have got AO maps GAP, not got specular maps, but will look in to whats involved
For the most commons uses, specular and normal maps are mapped on the same UV channel as the diffuse texture, so it is easy adding them at later stage. The one precaution that you should take, is choosing a base file where you will import the new meshes that has extended data for those types of map already in it. In theory, the latest versions of GR2 Editor can add those missing strings to any file, but in my experience that feature doesn't work too well, and if you try adding a map of a certain type to a file that missed that type, ore often than else you will end with a corrupted file. Anyway, if you choose to use the GR2 file of another playable sub as base for your work, you shouldn't have such a problem as it already has all the possible map definitions.

Talking about ambient occlusion maps, I think you know it already, for their nature they need a non overlapping UV unwarpping, and they are usually mapped on a secondary UV channel. You import these UV coordinates together with main vertex coordinates and the primary UV channel, but you must be careful: any mismatch in the order of vertex/edge/polygon coordinates of the models where the primary and the secondary UV channels are stored, and the imported UV coordinates will be corrupt

Quote:
can only use the fixed function pipeline in the editor, so it does look flat, if I try the programmable shaders its just black
Yep I know, but even so, you should still be able to preview diffuse and AO maps. For other type of maps and for previewing the effect of different material attributes, the quickest method is loading the model in Goblin.

Quote:
been thinking along those lines for the interiors myself, would save a lot of time,

Quote:
I will probably have questions for you, there will surely be things I cannot figure out myself, especially on the graphics side of things.
Feel free to ask. I will be glad to answer your questions as much as I can
gap is offline   Reply With Quote