View Single Post
Old 01-19-19, 01:21 PM   #16
UglyMowgli
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I spent some time in China, I had the opportunity to discuss with different people, the AskInt work very well

So first, why china went from an army equipped with WW2 hardware to a modern technology army in less than 20 years?

It started first with what was called the "Yinhe Incident" in 1993 then it culminated on a day of May 1999 when a US cruise missile slammed on the Chinese embassy in Belgrade killing 3 Chinese.

At those two time the response from the government was weak (they had few options: a million of grunts with WW2 guns or nukes, almost nothing in between) but the Chinese population was angry not only at the US but at the lack of answer from the upper level and it worried the government (it started slowly in 93 but in 99 the popular movement was strong enough to make the PRC to react and decided to modernize the their armed forces).
As one of the Chinese guy told me : "We get the mean/capability to have peace" The Chinese version of "si vis pacem, para bellum"

Also , what everybody here forget, is that the notion of time is different in China. They have time, they know where they want to go, what they want to achieve and they have time. They can backsliding and move forward when the right time come, if it take 10, 50 or 100 years dosen't matter for them.
UglyMowgli is offline   Reply With Quote