View Single Post
Old 04-10-18, 10:11 PM   #5882
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait
The "T" key turns off the SD radar only; I have to go to the SJ radar to turn it off manually. Using the T key to turn both on, as the note says, does not always turn on both radars. That seems confusing, and I wonder if it is the result of repeat using the T key? Repeating using the T key to turn off the radars (both, according to the message posted) results on only the SD going off; still have to turn off the SJ manually.
As the "Help" page states:

The "T" key toggles power for the SD Radar.
The "Ctrl+T" key toggles power for the SJ Radar

The "T" key alone does not turn on/off both Radars in a single key stroke.

In the above image, you'll notice the "HUD" Button menu is highlighting the "Radar" page (the Radar icon is yellow, while the others are red). The two buttons that are lighted are for the "SJ Power On/Off" and the "Continuous Sweep" button.....meaning the SJ Radar is operational, and continuously sweeping for targets. The SJ provides both surface and air detection and its detected objects are seen on either the A-Scope or PPI Radar screens. The SJ will turn off automatically if you submerge below the waterline with the antenna. So, in order for it to work you need to either be surfaced, or at least have the antenna above the waterline, and have the unit turned "on" (by using one of several ways of doing so....The HUD Toggle Button; the "Ctrl+T" keystroke; a mouse click on the PPI or A-Scope units on/off toggle switch).

To turn on/off the SD Radar, you can use the "T" keystroke, or the HUD Radar Button on the far right labeled "SD Power On/Off":

As the above image shows, every time you toggle the SD Radar on/off, the Chief Engineer will report its status. However unlike the SJ Radar, the SD Radar button can not be highlighted to show if its on or not....it will stay un lighted no matter what its state, as the above image shows. You need to read the message text as to whether the SD Radar is on or off.

As the following "mouse over" information states, the two buttons work different radar devices.....The SJ which is only displayed on the A-Scope and PPI screens////And the SD Radar which is displayed on the Navigation Map.

Quote:
I noticed that when I turn them to "ON" via the T key, air contacts show up, but surface contacts do not. If I look at the two screens at the radar station, both screens are dark. Turning on the SJ radar starts the display, but the SD remains dark. If I then turn off the SJ so that both are dark and go to the SD screen, turning it on turns on BOTH SD and SJ (both screens are lit, and targets show up on the F5 display
I believe you're confused on the function of the SD compared to the SJ. The Stock game only displayed the Air Search SD on the Navigation Map (the F5 key). They only permitted air contacts to show up on the map.....not the two SJ Surface Search screens (A-Scope, PPI Screens). I have the SJ also picking up air targets because.....that's what they did....picked up both air and surface targets. You'll notice both A-Scope and PPI work together....in other words when you turn off one, the other turns off too and they both display the same detected contacts, just in different ways. Why? Because the SJ Radar is displayed on these two units ONLY. The developers didn't construct the radar as it should have been and we can't do a thing about it! The SD SHOULD have been displayed on the A-Scope screen and not the Navigation Map! The SJ SHOULD have been displayed on the PPI making for a difference between the two displayed units.....but it's not and it never will unless you get UbiSoft to provide a sixth patch for say 50 bucks to correct their stupidity.....and ours for paying for it!

When you say.... "If I look at the two screens at the radar station, both screens are dark. Turning on the SJ radar starts the display, but the SD remains dark". This tells me you think one display is for the SJ while the other is for the SD.....they are not. Both A-Scope and PPI screens are for the SJ Surface Search Radar. The Navigation Map for the SD never turns dark.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote