View Single Post
Old 09-02-09, 05:43 PM   #124
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
Even the staunchest GWX critic would be hard-pressed to deny the overwhelming impact that GWX has had on SH3. It would be more than fair to say that GWX set the benchmark for SH3 modding. It would be even fair to say that GWX set the benchmark for the modding of other games, as it is not that uncommon to read references to GWX ("I wish we had a GWX-type mod for <insert game here>") in other forums.

Certainly I have been a long time user of GWX and the earlier TGW (when it was just Lehmann and Marhkimov) and can say without doubt that SH3 would not be on my HDD today were it not for GWX.

Being on the GWX team introduced me to some great guys like BBW, Rubini and Ref. There was a time when I enjoyed opening my inbox to see it full with email from these guys.

Lehmann, you can "retire" with dignity and the knowledge that you have made many thousands of SH3 players happy. We did not always see eye-to-eye (heck, you frustrated the excrement out of me), but no-one can argue with the results.

And I'm sure not many people here are fully aware of the personal sacrifices that you made during your reign as GWX project manager, just to make them happy.

To you and the team--both past and present--thanks.
Jaesen,

I think I may have you to thank for some of my first grey hairs so the feeling was at times mutual!

You know... it is always so much easier to remember difficulties... and harsh times... I've spent so much time stuck in those places for the days leading up to and following the closure of GWX4... just making myself sick.

Your post re-opened a grand series of memories for me...

Most have no idea that when it was just me and Marhkimov... I got cold feet just prior to the release of TGW 1.0... and was afraid to release it. (I know its a stretch, but I frustrated Marhkimov too you see.) Marhkimov gave me a rather swift kick in the pants and I subsequently released TGW. Following release, a bit ironically... Marhkimov got cold feet and left me standing there... but that's alright. His work was quite good and much of it remains in the final release of GWX.

I remember two angry Aussies chasing each other all over the GW forums poking each other in the eye for what might have been hours (or was it days?) ...determined to make me go bald... and I won't be more detailed... because for all the frustration involved at the time... I hope the two passionate artists in question can view it with the humor that I hold for the occasion now. That passion served the team and project well.

What I will remember best... and what I choose to take with me wherever I am... is the sense of teamwork and 'crew' shared by shipmates... that saw the pace of development firing on all cylinders for weeks on end! VOLUMES of messages, screenshots, and posts by all involved... as the build charged ahead at a dead run. It seemed as if no-one slept... and I certainly didn't. The location of GWX dev teamers and testing crewmen caused me to FEEL the world turning... one time zone would change from day to night... the next would awake... and the stream of messaging and data transference seemed to be endless... all at flank speed to hit the mark... to reach the finish line! It was surreal at times... an un-stoppable AVALANCHE of steady progress!!! Some days, all I could really do... was have a death-grip on the railing with one hand... and have my other hand keepin' me hat from flying off!

Thanks for the kind words Jaesen... and thinks for the time you spent working so hard with the team.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote