Driftwood
Chief

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
John D. Alden, retired Navy Commander (according to William Tuohy in "The Bravest Man") updated the JANAC figures in the 80's/90's after he had learned that the Japanese figures had been updated with more accurate data than was available to JANAC. According to Tuohy, Alden's figures are probably the most accurate. Great book by the way! Tuohy tells a great story about O'Kane and some of the more colorful Sub Skippers of that time.

Don't leave me in suspense... what are Alden's figures for Tang?

My apologies Bill, I've just returned from an anniversary trip (34 years to the same beautiful bride!.......poor woman. ) And one of the books I took along was The Bravest Man. Came back last night and today was trying to "catch up" when I came across this post. I recalled seeing this reference in the book (which I've still got a chapter and a half left to finish) and thought one of you real bubbleheads would be familiar with Commander Alden's study. I've not had an opportunity yet to do any research on Cdr Aldens' work but I will. Here's the bibliograpny information for those of you who are interested. "US Submarine Attacks in World War II," Annapolis, US Naval Institute Press, 1989, updated and revised, 1999,2000.