View Single Post
Old 12-13-17, 10:10 AM   #4502
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff then View Post
Great Mod indeed! SH4+Tmo is the best Subsim out there, at least thats my opinion. Very easy to install and much more gameplay fun. No downsides, so use this mod if you want a better game. To Honor the work of all people involved, I snapped this sceenshot. Ahoi!
Nice shot, but game fail! As usual, and this bears directly on the celestial navigation people, the solar system in SH4 is messed up bad! Note the crescent moon close to the sun in the sky. First of all the sky would be too bright to see a crescent moon with the sun that high. BUT the worst thing is that a moon that close to the sun wouldn't be seen at all because it would only be about 1% illuminated. The crescent would be too thin to see, even after dark!

The phase of the moon is absolutely locked to its position in relation to the sun. The full moon always rises at sunset, 6 pm local time. The last quarter moon always rises at midnight.....and so on. This is way out of sync.

Unfortunately, this is hard-wired craziness on SH4's part and no mod can fix it. We're no better in this aspect with FOTRSU.

It's really horrifying to read fitzcarraldo say "Better than TMO." Ducimus is still my hero, the guy who made SH4 into something much greater than itself. He didn't cut off his ear like Van Gogh, but he was that obsessed with making TMO fabulous. And he did it all by himself. I work with a team who can share the load and feed off each other's ideas and can't imagine how difficult it must have been for Ducimus.

And FOTRSU is based on TMO v1.7, made while Ducimus' vision was pure and well-defined. Later he let criticism and player input influence him too much. When you lose vision, you lose excellence. He was burned out and his later versions showed the strain. So maybe he did cut off his ear and we just don't know about it.

But a huge salute to Ducimus. Most of the memorable experiences I've had with SH4 have been with TMO. FOTRSU wouldn't even exist without him.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote