View Single Post
Old 01-10-17, 01:34 AM   #54
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Because I wanted a simple mod with a few rocket types, and I had only bad models. But now, you're here to bring new stuff, and that's good !
...and you inspired me with a series of amazing mods

Quote:
Yes exactly, and it changed nothing. Except when I tried an angle of 90°, the rockets were near zero speed....
Okay. On a side note, how did you set the parameters of the 3.5" FFAR launcher? In theory the shooting aircraft should aim for the water line, slightly in front of the target:

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3.5-Inch_Forward_Firing_Aircraft_Rocket
The warhead contained no explosive. The rocket's nose was a solid steel mass, weighing 20 pounds (9.1 kg), that punctured the pressure hull of a target submarine through the kinetic energy and momentum from its high velocity and mass. The nose of the 3.5" FFAR was given a relatively blunt conical shape that had been shown experimentally to give a maximum pitch-up of the nose as the rocket entered the water. This caused the rocket to shoot forward at a shallow depth deadly to submarines that were surfaced or traveling at snorkel or periscope depth. The rockets were launched in a shallow dive, since entry into the water at too steep an angle would defeat their ability to shoot forward at the required shallow depth. The rocket remained lethal even after passing through up to 130 feet of water, giving the pilot a target several times the actual size of the submarine. The sweet spot for targeting was considered to be 60 feet in front of the near side of the submarine. Typical firing range was about 1500 yards.
I don't know if something like that can be simulated in game though

Quote:
Well, I have to learn how to measure objects in Wings3D ...
Everything about WIngs3D is very simple and intutive: select an edge, and you can read its length on the left of the top bar; select two vertices, and their distance (absolute and on the three axis) is shown in the same spot
gap is offline   Reply With Quote