View Single Post
Old 07-12-17, 12:24 PM   #41
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumsTerrorist View Post
Maybe, in the same way it's possible to play the Narwhal, we could add the lone Victor II, K-467, that was a testbed (my guess) for the later tandem screw used on the Victor IIIs?

http://imgur.com/a/t6UjU

Admittedly I'm unsure when it had it, but given that supposedly the Soviets rarely changed the screws on existing hulls it's possible it had it during 1984. If the game ever adds proper diesel-electric mechanics then we could just add the various holes in the water the Soviets made. :v Also, if or when it's possible to add 3D models, other novelties that could be added would be the Papa class (ancestor to the Alfa, and still the fastest submarine ever built) in the 1968 campaign, and the Mike class (a combat capable technology testbed; kind of a proto-Akula?) in 1984.
great link, had an interesting time reading it and I didn't know that the tandem screws weren't contra-rotating.

I agree with you that Victor II is probably the Soviet equivalent to the USS Jack, which trialed contra-roatating screws for the USN (somewhat unsuccessfully due to the weight of her direct drive sapping most of the efficiency, but she did keep the setup for her whole service life).

Papa would have JUST been launched in December of 68 and had a hell of a test process to go through (didn't commission until December 69). The Papa and the Alfa after it were way more anti-carrier platforms than anything else but I don't think there was a torpedo in existence that could catch the Papa in that time period.

Mike, being titanium is sort of a different ball of wax than the Akula and sort of like an Alfa successor in terms of automation and design concepts. Out of all the titanium boats the Mike was the first one that was really stressed for deep diving, and while I don't think she had any problems there, its my understanding the conclusion that was reached was that there wasn't as much value as you would think to diving that deep. I mean it likely could escape some / most / all-non nuclear weapons of the day but it wasn't any more stealthy (hit 3000ft. and then disappear) so basically not worth the trouble vs. how hard it was to construct a boat that could dive that deep.