View Single Post
Old 01-28-18, 09:04 AM   #4926
chazsi
A-ganger

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default Captain Moron Reporting

It seems some things in life never change. I played SH4 YEARS and years ago. Came back a couple of weeks ago and got it running on win10 WITH YOUR HELP. Then i got it modded up WITH YOUR HELP. All the while I've been practicing and learning. Sub school training. Quick missions. YouTube tutorials.

Everything's working like a charm and I've remembered playing from years ago. Add to that Rockin Robbins "fighter avoidance" vid, several Dick O'Kane vids, some Cromwell attack vids and I think I'm ready to go.

The quick missions go so well my crew decides to "stay with me" as I go to my campaign assignment. I mod up with FOTRSU and we're off.

The first thing I notice is I'm not avoiding these fighters as well as I did in training. The crew notices as well. Every time I get notice of a fighter contact, he's on me before I can get to radar depth. EVERY TIME.

Deep in Japanese territory, I cease use of "time compression" to see if FOTRSU might be letting them get too close before switching to "1x" real time.

Nope that's not it. And I really didn't think it WAS because I'd used time compression in training and gotten below well before any fighters spotted us. Hmmm. Gotta figure this out cause we're getting more and more damage and the crew is really starting to grumble under their breaths. I can't come down on them too hard though. I'm grumbling as well. And I'm staying up late at night trying to figure out why we're getting so beat up by fighters that should never see us. Dang it must be this more realistic FOTRSU. One lucky explosion and we won't have to worry about ANYTHING any longer.

Meanwhile, I set up my first 45 degree Cromwell attack. Years ago all I ever used was Dick O'Kane. The attack goes swimmingly. I loose three M14's tearing through the 10 foot waves into the steel flank of a "modern tanker." As the crew and I await our report card, the grades come in. THREE HITS. Two duds.

REALLY? My first Cromwell attack and it goes to perfection only to find that 66% of the ammo is faulty. I hear rumblings among the crew. I'm not responsible for dud swimmers but on top of all the damage we've been taking from these Japanese Fighters, I can't really BLAME them for not being happy.

Oh well. I'm happy the Cromwell thing worked out. It's another trick in the bag anyway. We've sunk 14 ships, we're out of torpedoes and the deck gun is useless. Everyone on board has had a go at it. It ain't working.

Time to head for Midway for refit and refuel. On the way, I'm going to review boat systems to pass the time.

WHAT? What's this? OH MY SWEET LORD IN HEAVEN!

I call my radar op to my bunk and dismiss my XO. It's just me and Anderson, the scope watcher. We converse in hushed tones heads side by side. Each of our lips close to the others' ear.

"Anderson, I've just been reviewing op procedures."

"Yessir?"

"Am I to understand that when we installed that FOTRSU... the default operating state of our SD RADAR is... 'OFF?'"

"Yessir."

"Do you mean to tell me, we've been getting shot to hell by these Japanese fighters because we're not even USING the SD RADAR I spent that renown on?"

"Yessir."

"What in God's name have you been doing during your shifts?"

"Staring at the scope, sir."

"But the radar's not ON."

"No sir. But my job's watching the scope, sir."

"Anderson, get your ass to the scope and press "T" NOW. Get that radar on and never turn it back off.... And keep this conversation between you and me."

Refit went well at Midway and I expect morale to slowly improve as we avoid future fighters with more success.

Captain MORON... signing off.

WHEW, WHAT A HOOT! TOO MUCH FUN!
chazsi is offline   Reply With Quote