View Single Post
Old 11-24-09, 12:12 AM   #27
Gut Wrench
Chief

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
EIGHT POINTS.
Makes All The Difference.

I usually start writing this column about the time that Faith Hill bounces into my bedroom and starts singing about how she's waiting all week for me. Somehow, it didn't matter how short she wore that black skirt, or how high she wore those booties, there was something more interesting in Week 11 of the Subsim Torpedo League.

Both the Raiders and Chiefs got a win? (Questions are already being asked as to how many nights on the Cavalla that little bribe cost Commander Neal.

But in the Torpedo League, where all the games matter no matter how bad some of the teams are (yes, I'm looking at you 1-10 Phants Rage) fingernails were chewed and other hot looking women were tossed aside as Coaches ground out the late games accompanied by the words "Not now, I'm 8 points behind."

Eight points doesn't sound like much but it was enough for Every Given Sunday to move ahead to 8-3 with the narrow win over Collared Greenz. The loss by the Greenz eliminates the team from the post season.

Eight points doesn't sound like much but two points is even less, for the Green Beans to leapfrog the Reapers and move to 6-5. At 6-5 the Beans have had the third most points scored against them, however, they sit in second place two games back of Every Given Sunday and still eligible to win the division.

You have to feel for Coach Mookie of Show Me Your TD's, going into the Monday Night game more then 40 points ahead of the BP Badasses, he could have done with an extra eight points. He was sunk with a 53 yard field goal with 47 seconds left in the game.

And how about that SubSimmers division, with the upset game of the week, the #12 ranked Australian Taipans dropped the #2 Wild Boston Terriers, forcing them a game back from divisional rivals, the Dead Poets.

In other games the #1 seed Helmand Nighthawks disposed of Phants Rage, and the Mudville Nine did likewise to the Drunk Ground Hogs.

The trade deadline for the league passed on Friday night, with only one trade being effected. Anquan Bolden of the Ded Poets was traded for LeSean McCoy of Show Me Your TD's late Wednesday.

And thus after a grueling four day spread of football, we head into the Thanksgiving Day week with the questions being asked. Who will get carved up Thursday? (Neal, I'm looking at your Raiders.) Who will be served up on a platter, and perhaps most importantly, who will be plucked for the season?

Let's go to the Subsim Torpedo Bowl ratings for Week 11.

The Nighthawks, Every Given Sunday and Dragons hold their place in the Championship Post Season. The loss by the Wild Boston terriers moves them a game behind the Dead Poets and the Badasses, but, they still hold a 3-0 record on the division. The Boston Terriers meet Show Me Your TD's, while the Poets are up against Every Given Sunday. The Poets have beaten the Basasses, and both teams look to be going to the post season, one in the Championship Round, the other to the Consolation Round.

PROBABLE SEEDING DIVISIONAL WINNERS
Team.....Record

Nighthawks...8-3
Dragons...... 7-4
Dead Poets.. 8-3
EG Sunday... 7-3

And here's where the mathematicians go crazy, trying to compute if it's plausible, before they consider is it attainable.

The BP Badasses lead the wildcard with a key matchup against the Reapers in week 12. The Wild Boston Terrier move to be a "chase dog" still with a chance to win the division. They line up against, Show Me Your TD's next week. However, at 0-3 within the division, Show Me Your TD's need the win to avoid being eliminated.

WILDCARD RACE
Team....... Record

BP Badasses...8-3
Wild Terriers...7-4
Mudville Nine..7-4
Green Beans.. 6-5
Reapers........ 5-6
Miners.......... 5-6
AU Taipans.... 5-6
Show MY TD's. 5-6

...and suddenly, there are three teams from the SubSimmer division and two from the Old Schoolers Division fighting it out for the #8 play off position.

WHAT ABOUT THE SCHEDULE COMMISSIONER?

No decision has yet been made by the Commissioner relating to the second meeting of the Mudville Nine and Show Me Your TD's. Without altering the schedule, once of those two coach's will miss out on the playoffs, and two more are in jeopardy.

Each week, the Associated Subsim Writers (ASW) will nominated their Most Valuable Torpedo (MVT) of the week, the single player who proved decisive in their teams performance.

In week eleven, the Associated Subsim Writers are pleased to present, for the effort of 384 passing yards and 3 passing TD's, Eli Manning of the Australian Taipans is the Week Eleven MVT.

Gut Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote