View Single Post
Old 03-28-11, 09:27 AM   #39
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

I remember when this was first posted, but never really gave it any thought. That was until the other day. Strangely enough, since installing SH4 on my new Windows7 64 system I have been haveing some problems with occasional crashes. In campaign, I always crashed when nearing my home base during TC. I would then reload, lower the TC, and I would be able to complete the mission. Then the other day out of the blue, I decided to play a couple of the single missions. Now just to be clear, I had played a couple of the single missions, but not ones that had TF engagements.

Before I go any further let me say that I'm running several mods including RFB, and RSRD. OK, back to the point. I chose to play the last mission listed. USS Spadefish needs to engage a convoy including a carrier. I would make radar contact, make my approach, and then as I neared for the attack, CRASH!! This happened several times. OK I thought, mabey a FUBAR mission file. Let's try the USS Albacore mission. A large TF of CVs and BBs. The same results. This got me thinking. After playing several of the single missions with lesser numbers of ships, the common denominator of the crashing missions was large numbers of ships. In the case of the Spadefish mission, about 15 ships.

I then began to search these forums for possible answers, and there it was. After reading this thread it started to make sense. My campaigns were always to this point involving single merchants or small 3-4 ship convoys. My problem was the return to a busy harbor at TC. I never realized until the other day, that a problem existed. Anyway, I installed this patch, and successfully played the two problem missions without crashes. The only crashes were the depth charges above my head! I still find it strange that I would have these issues on a system with 6gigs of RAM, but so far, this patch has seemed to do the trick.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote