View Single Post
Old 05-16-18, 02:29 AM   #10
ChrisTayeb
Watch

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedo View Post
Is there a good strategy for using SSGN subs (from all playable mod)? I was trying out the Ohio class and was only able to beat the first asw patrol I ran into, though I did take a hit. Second patrol came and annihilated me. I do well with SSN's but SSGN's seem to require different tactics being larger and slower and I am at a loss as to what to do. I am playing 1984 campaign.
By nature SSGNs are here to deliver the blow, not really to fight other much faster SSNs, however after hours of playing you may find that what you would consider as cons can turn pros, SSGN seems to hold very well in very deep waters and are usually quiet enough (assuming you don't make mistakes that would betray your position) to stay out of combat, in a Typhoon class or Borei, or Ohio class you wanna be the sub that sneaks by rather than the sub that targets everything that moves.
I guess mods have gave us the opportunity to play them for either the challenge of some single missions or to see how it would be to fight SSN's/SSK missions with an SSGN instead, but in the end reality is that these are two types of subs built for complete different purposes. For instance a USS Ohio class or a HMS Vanguard doesn't care about getting close to a target, it has a patrol area that is assigned and she would go to shallow water if she gets a firing order, that would mean procede to fire a Nuclear ballistic missile, neither of these would ever receive an order to chase/hunt a couple of fast subs carrying spec ops.
ChrisTayeb is offline   Reply With Quote