Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
Thanks for this.

A general question:

In real life, having the scope up a long time was suicide. In game, putting the scope down loses the information? Loses the lock on?

Suggestion: Numerous peeks for each piece of information, then final look to input final data changes. Realistic. First look, AOB. Second look, range. Third look, course and or speed. Sometime during this, identify target and nationality.

Comments?
You are correct that a real sub skipper would not leave the periscope up. I've often thought that the AI even in IRAI is not good enough at spotting periscopes because in the game you can pretty much leave it up all the time. I usually take my range and bearing readings and then put it down. Sometimes you will have to have the ship identified again but this takes one second if using TDW UIs. You will also have to click the "follow button" again but also doesn't take long. But I always put the scope back down after taking range adn bearing readings. While it's down and I'm waiting for time to pass, I plot the range/bearing readings on the map and drawn the target's course.

What you suggest would be a good method if we didn't have the "AOB reset bug." As it is right now, the AOB will reset to the last entered number every time you put in a new range entry. To compensate for this bug I do the following:

1. ID Target. (Must do this first or stadimeter won't work)
2. Take range/ bearing readings as discussed above.
3. determine target course. Draw target course.
4. Calculate target speed
5. Determine ahead of time where I will be firing. ( usually fire when the target passes my 350 degree bearing or my 10 degree bearing (if its going right to left.)
6. Based on the target's course, determine what the AOB is for that SPECIFIC firing bearing (again, I choose 350 (from left) or 10 (from right) because it usually has the torpedo meeting the ship at almost 90 degree angle) SET THE AOB for that BEARING.
7. Now you can take more range readings as the target gets closer as you please.
8. Take one final range/bearing reading with stadimeter as the target passes your predermined firing bearing. When you do this, it will automatically set the AOB back to the correct one
9. FIRE!