View Single Post
Old 06-18-18, 12:55 AM   #5
tsotha
Watch

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Interesting, I think it will be more than just software though for the Tomahawk, would have to have some kind of terminal radar seeker, don't think the TERCOM can do that. My understanding is that when its fielded, all missiles (or at least all that are upgraded to the ASM standard) will be able to engage both land and ship targets.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with the TLAM and how it effects some of the other procurement programs going on. I think they've done work on a launch canister for LRASM but I think that's more about what they could do vs. what's for sure going to happen. I would say its more likely the LRASM program is related to this "Project Sea Dragon" leak we've been hearing about vs. the SM-6 variation people seem to be bandying about which I'm guessing is little more than dot-connecting (Sea Dragon is a super-sonic submarine-launched anti-ship missile with an intent to make use of parts already in stock, SM-6 is a super-sonic missile with anti-ship capability that's already in service so Sea Dragon = SM-6!!!!).
Maybe. AA missiles typically have pretty small warheads, though, and SM-6 doesn't deviate from the norm - only 140 pounds. I guess they'd be depending on the kinetic energy for most of the damage. LRASM makes a lot more sense to me if it's stealthy enough.
tsotha is offline   Reply With Quote