View Single Post
Old 08-01-18, 05:55 PM   #3
CDR DPH
Helmsman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

1) Set prop turns to 0 as soon as you know you're going to bottom out. Try to touch down level, with no forward momentum and as softly as you can.

2) Get the repair crews working in the flooded compartment as soon as you can after doing #1
3) Don't sit too long, it seems like the sub sinks into the muck over time
4) Blow ballast and wait 20-30 seconds

If you begin to rise, great. If you don't...

5) Set dive planes to +5
6) Slowly increase prop turns, 1 knot, 2, 3 etc. If this is going to work, it will work before or at 5 knots. More planes won't help as it just drives your rudder into the muck. Sometimes Davy Jones' Locker isn't closed quick enough to keep you in.

*** Don't let yourself sink to the bottom. Before then, boost forward speed and increase dive plane angle to counter the sinking. Blow ballast and and do the opposite - use speed and negative planes to stay submerged. I've been able to keep a badly flooded sub off the bottom - handles like a wet sponge but coming to a stop or trying not to cavitate would have been the end. Rather be hit by a torp than to sit on the bottom tapping the hull with a wrench.

My crew must be incompetent. I'm managing an engagement and not a single sailor out of more than 100 can be bothered to mention the floor is getting wet...

Last edited by CDR DPH; 08-01-18 at 06:07 PM.
CDR DPH is offline   Reply With Quote