Thread: No comment
View Single Post
Old 08-16-17, 03:46 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Minnesota Nice; it's actually the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
SIMPLY APPALLING! It's Kitty Genovese Syndrome; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese I myself as an old Boy Scout, alarm agent, over the road trucker, scuba diver(two near drownings averted), yachtsman (two radio-call for distress'd vessels this year alone) or current patrol officer, render assistance at all times: the difference between a millennial and an aged baby-boomer I 'spect. A complete first aid kit is in the trunk of all my cars along with a decent fire extinguisher...although one engine fire was conveniently handled with the victim's own kool-aide! I simply won't let another Kitty Genovese episode occur in my presence; the ubiquitous cell-phone and 911 renders anything less a chargeable moral offense imho! Occasionally U can make a palpable difference: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2412132&postcount=788
YIPES! Upon further review and a 'reconnect' with my roots:
Quote:
Good Samaritan statutes in the states of Minnesota and Vermont do require a person at the scene of an emergency to provide reasonable assistance to a person in need. This assistance may be to call 9-1-1. Violation of the duty-to-assist subdivision is a petty misdemeanor in Minnesota and may warrant a fine of up to $100 in Vermont. At least five other states, including California and Nevada, have seriously considered adding duty-to-assist subdivisions to their good Samaritan statutes. New York's law provides immunity for those who assist in an emergency. The public policy behind the law is:
The furnishing of medical assistance in an emergency is a matter of vital concern affecting the public health, safety and welfare. Prehospital emergency medical care, the provision of prompt and effective communication among ambulances and hospitals[,] and safe and effective care and transportation of the sick and injured are essential public health services.
Florida also only provides immunity from liability, but with no misdemeanor requirement not to provide such assistance. 48 other states need to reexamine their Good Samaritan laws imho. In the drowning matter of the OP:
Quote:
8/07/2017: Now, there are efforts to craft new legislation to more directly address the circumstances of the Dunn case.
Two state senators and a state representative are working on the issue.
Florida state Sen. Debbie Mayfield, a Republican from Rockledge, Fla., said they "are endeavoring to assure that the legislation will be clearly written, in a manner not to compel individuals to put themselves in danger, as our goal is to avoid any unintended consequences."
Mayfield said the goal of this bill will be to compel a bystander to "provide reasonable assistance" to someone, when knowingly in the presence of an individual who is exposed to or has suffered grave physical harm, "to the extent that he or she is able and can."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/08/07/florida-seeks-good-samaritan-legislation/544907001/
@ Skybird: Germany is much like Minnesota
Quote:
In Germany, failure to provide first aid to a person in need is punishable under § 323c of its criminal penal code. However, any help one provides cannot and will not be prosecuted even if it made the situation worse or did not fulfill specific first aid criteria. People are thus encouraged to help in any way possible, even if the attempt is not successful.Moreover, people providing first aid are covered by the German Statutory Accident Insurance in case they suffer injury, losses, or damages.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote