View Single Post
Old 09-14-18, 05:32 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
my wife is trying to convince me buying a Tesla is good investment because of all the money we will save on gas.

two words: not happening.
Batteries.

Every 6-8 months the industry internally fields a new technology, means: battery technology ages very fast, looses reselling value. Additional to that, they are loosing max capacity they can store over time. They have a life cycle, and a limited longevity.

You may save on gas. But you pay extra when oyu try to resell an e-car. I have not just read that. I have heard it several times now in my social environment, real people with real experience. I do not know them all perosnally, but knwo people knowing them.

There is no economic argument to buy into e-mobility. Also, there is no ecological argument, if you factor in production costs. Currently, if you calculate all and everything and go over a longer time window, you seem to lose money.

This thead got misplaced by me, sorry: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=238132

Buy a small car, gas-driven, with low consumption rate and good emission values. Much more sanity in that. Maybe even a hybrid. What makes e-mobility expensivem, is not the loading costs for the battery cells, but the complete background calculation of all costs: production, mining Lithium, value loss and aging of batteries.

Musk also once said he does not want to offer maintenance and software upgrades for existing Teslas for too long, but instead , like with cellphones, expects people to buy complete new cars in frequent, preferred: short intervals. That is not just disconnected from the financial reality of many people, but it also sheds a questionable light on his idea of ecological sustainability. One should not support such policy.