View Single Post
Old 08-21-16, 05:21 AM   #11
Gotmilk
Planesman

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsomnia View Post

d) A lot of people and companies, myself and mine included, think its a fad just like 3D movies.

"
While i agree with all your previous points. I cannot agree with this one. I have been developing submarine VR game since early 2013 and and been keeping a very close eye on what happens in VR industry. I have had a chance to visit Facebook and Valve offices and seen what the smart people are doing. I have see plenty of smart people at Oculus Connect and the whole buzz what happens around the industry is not fad like 3D tv. <-- people who usually say that have not tried a proper room scale VR experience.

Remember, no one actually wanted 3D tv. 3D tv was forced upon hollywood and TV salesmen because they had no other way to innovate. With VR this is all another matter. People have wanted VR since the early 90-s but the technology was so awful it never even had a chance. Now we have another fresh start and so much more room to innovate. VR is not going to die, VR will be everywhere, not in this year, not in next year. I give it around 4-5 years until VR will become norm in household. While at the moment the vr technology is good enough to be sold on market there is still a much room for improvement. In terms of TV technology we are still in black and white picture area. Back then many thought that TV is going to be fad too. IBM thought that home user PC is fad and never going to reach mass market.

Nsomnia, i took a look at your development thread. In your case indeed this game would not work for VR. You are making a right decision by not trying to force it into VR.

VR game has to be developed ground up and not to treat it like a checkbox in unity project settings. If you do that then yes the VR part of the game will be fad which will drive anyone sick.
Gotmilk is offline   Reply With Quote