View Single Post
Old 09-04-17, 11:01 AM   #24
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

"Basically, the "Signature" tab could be split up into four categories: Submarines, Warship, Merchant, All."

+1

I was going to post about the difficulty in scrolling through long lists of vessels today which nearly negates the advantage of beating your crew to the punch. While doing all that scrolling and comparing sometimes small differences in the display with noise to the reference, I have to mostly ignore the evolving tactical picture and issue timely commands. Perhaps the crew is too handicapped when it comes to submerged threats. They seem to handle surface ships faster (probably because the turns are louder?)

Unfortunately, the many forces added to the sim by modders makes the problem worse even though trace characteristics are duplicated.

Is there code in the sim to determine identification speed based on clarity of the trace (signal to noise?) If not, please consider it. If so, possibly revisit this code? Certainly if it takes me a minute or two to scroll through a list of references and make a selection, a crew member should also be able to do this in comparable time? Documentation seems to indicate your crew are experts and considering the time period of the sim when US naval alertness and training was at its highest performance in recent history, the identification time on what looks like clear traces on the display seems lacking. I suspect it's degraded on purpose to enable advantage of the user interaction which is partially degraded (actually frustrated) by the slow UI.

Brings back memories of the original Hunt for Red October where I had to hammer on a control for a minute or two before the code interrupts would finally let the command through after it was too late to save myself.

-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote