View Single Post
Old 11-12-08, 02:30 PM   #51
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Aaah, the float carburetor, the bane of anyone who isn't used to it

Split-S is your one and only friend

Don't bunt, you'll cut your engine out and/or rip your wings off.

Another thing to note with the Mark I Spit, I don't know if this is modelled in IL2 (haven't had much of a chance to play with the Spit offline yet) but I found myself in a slight spot of bother in the Spit on BOBII the other day. Dived after a 109 to see if I'd managed to down him (I had) and picked up a fair bit of speed in my dive, then couldn't pull up or turn port or starboard. The wind speed over my wings must have reduced the effectiveness of the control surfaces, I've read about this but it's the first time I've noticed it in action. So that's something to keep an eye out for.
However, below 20,000 feet, you can out-turn the 109s for the most part, and you're also slightly faster. Above 20,000 feet however the advantage goes to the Germans. You're also faster on the level than the 109, only by about twenty mph though, and your key altitude for best performance is in the region of 11,000 to 16,000 feet. However, the 109 has a better armament than you, so keep your eyes on that mirror, it's a godsend.

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit1vrs109e.html

At the end of the day though, it all boils down to who you're facing, in this case it's Olegs world, so the 109s would probably have the flight ability of a Eurofighter Typhoon, thus making this discussion point moot.