View Single Post
Old 07-20-23, 05:10 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default My loggia/balcony

Happy man I feel like today, I did myself something good and it is good for sure.

Three years ago, my loggia (I live in 2nd floor, thats 3rd in American code) had to be renovated completely, the zinc bottom had corroded and was leaking through after almost 50 years and into the appartment below mine, the wall and ceiling. Everything had to be replaced, and lastly, I bought stoneware tiles with extremely convincxing looking heavily weathered wood look.

This may look like old light wood, but I never really warmed up to it, and I always avoided the loggia as a result, after all it is cold, hard stone nevertheless. In addition, for structural reasons, there are no anchor points to install a retractable awning . But I live in the topo floor, above me, everything is open sky. So, however you may feel about this, I don't at all like sitting non-ground level and then with a wide sky above me, I don't feel comfortable that way. It keeps me on guard all the time. No sign of Gemütlichkeit.

Lazy as I am, it took a while, but this year I made some changes, and they worked out all around. I installed a simple plane awning (not mechanism, just the tarp and some lines and quick release carbines), but it will be replaced with a larger one next month, and I installed artificial turf, this morning. I'm not really a fan of artificial grass and find it unforgivable on the ground floor (use real grass if you already have a garden, what is a garden else for than for real plants?), but it's okay on balconies on upper floors.

The turf came late in the mornign, and I had underestimated the weight, since I bought real good quality (4.5 cm thick, expensive), 2x4.5m, 9 sqm. The girl by UPS was not happy, and I helped to unload it from the van,m then she helped me to get it upstairs. I estimated the weight to be around 55-60kg. Legally I think in Germany she would not even have been allowed to deliver it without a second crewman.

Being surprised I did not break my back, unrolling the thing all alone in a limited space and getting it into place was another martyrdom after she was gone (after all she was a UPS driver, not an installer of course). And the sun had come around, and I was soaking with sweat, my eyes were burnign and my tongue was swearing al by itself. It helps. Swearing always helps, believe it when a psychologist tells you that. That way, the storm is over much faster. I do not trust people who nerver curse or swear, they have a notorious brain cramp, I think. Juzst dont let it become personal.

What should I say - it all was so awesomely worth it, both the money and the work. Both in daylight and at sunset and in nightly darkness I now have a half-open cave that is extremely cozy and gemütlich, just as I wanted it to be. The material looks incredibly good, from 2-3 meter away you cannot differ the colour from that of real grass, and the general impression really is very fine. I am very happy with all things today, and thats why I want share it with you. Let images speak (and forgive that the beers are not drinkable)...

And now while I type a mild soft rain sets in and does it magic on the tarp. This day ends as it ran - perfect!

And the best shot, I sat until past 11 p.m. and night had fallen,a nd just enoyed some salt biscuits, cold beer, and the wonderful warming light of my two beloved petroleum lights. Original Feuerhand Baby Specials, of course.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-20-23 at 05:21 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote