View Single Post
Old 10-17-14, 03:05 PM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Well I have taken your advice and gone for it and installed SH3 Commander and some of the GWX mods that came with it.
I'm confused here. To the best of my knowledge Commander doesn't come with GWX or any other mods. It is a stand-alone program that works outside the game.

Quote:
I have down loaded but not yet installed the GWX Cfg files for SH3 Commander easy installer.

This is because I was reading the SH3 Commander manual and it states “you must have run Silent Hunter III at least once in order to set up your Silent Hunter III data files.”
This is because Commander can't "see" an install that doesn't exist. If you've already run SH3 once then you should be good to go. The Cfg files can be installed to Commander at any time. They mainly add some extra ships to the the files so Commander can read them.

Quote:
Does that mean I now need to disable the GWX mods?
No. Commander allows you to control different functions, but it does so from its own program, and other mods don't affect its operation. Likewise Commander doesn't affect any other mods except the few that are listed within its own pages, and they are all controlled through Commander by selecting a box to click.

Quote:
Could someone explain to me what I need to do next please?
With Commander and the Cfg files intalled you should be good to go. Just launch the game through Commander and it will tell you what to do. Also, clicking the '?' on Commander's main page will bring up the User Guide, which will explain everything.

Quote:
Also I would like to be able to get some practical experience using the tutorials that came with SH3 even though I will have SH3 Commander installed?

Can I do that?
Absolutely. Commander has no effect on the tutorials at all. GWX, on the other hand, does. The Flak lesson specifically is much harder. On the other hand you don't have to pass anything but the Navigation class. In stock SH3 you are awarded a little extra renown for passing each class, until it adds up to 1500. With GWX you get the full 1500 renown for passing any one class. The rest are just for your enjoyment and education.

None of this has anything to do with SH3 Commander.